Thursday, March 11, 2010

Figuratively speaking, I don't think any one read my blog last year. Maybe this year will be different. Remember you might be the only reader. Let me know you are out there by telling me what you would like to read about. Go to my line of fishing glasses, www.bigeyeeyewear.com. Find a pair of polarized sunglasses. If you are one of the first to respond I'll send you a pair.

Spring bass fishing is on my mind. Recently I have been spending considerable time tying flies in preparation. The coming weekend forecast is for sunny skies and temperatures might hit 60 degrees. That's a temperature I can't remember feeling. Sixty degree water temperatures and bass pounding surface plugs is within reach. Let's go fishing!

I should have a boat in the water by the third week of April. Historically, small schoolies appear in numbers below the railroad bridge at the mouth of the Connecticut River around April 25th. By Mother's Day the fishing is on.

The spring run off is always the unknown. The best scenario is a slow and steady melt off in the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire. Heavy rains and a late warming trend cause a rapid increase of dirt and debris laden water which has a tendency to slow down the bite. Having said this, fishing for bass in the spring at the mouth of the Connecticut River is my favorite time of year.

Why am I so big on this fishing? One, we are talking about bass - lots of bass and at times BIG bass. A few in the 40+ inches range But what makes a Connecticut River hook up so exciting is it is all done in shallow water. Many times in less than three feet and seldom in water greater than eight feet. What's that mean? The fish can't "sound". They can only run away. You can't beat it so join me!

1 comment:

  1. For the record. I was one of your happy readers escaping from my urban existence for a brief moment. Your blog's awesome.

    ReplyDelete